Are you a denture wearer? Do they fit well, or are they wobbly and quite frankly a pain to wear? If you’re struggling with removable dentures, why not restore function and comfort with permanent dentures? The benefits of permanent dentures are certainly worth your consideration.
Dentures are one of the most cost-effective means of replacing missing teeth. Yet, if not fitted properly, removable dentures loosen and shift over time causing discomfort. They hinder speech and make eating a challenge. They even cause your jaw bone to shrink if worn for a prolonged period of time. Oh, and then there are the messy and sticky denture adhesives. They don’t really work as well as one would like in keeping your teeth in their proper position.
Permanent Dentures Restore Function and Comfort
If you are missing one or more teeth, it’s important that you restore function and comfort. And thanks to today’s advanced modern dental technology, permanent dentures can help. It’s even possible to add a bit of personality to your smile with dentures if you want!
Permanent dentures are also known as non-removable dentures or fixed dentures. Basically, they are oral devices held in place by dental implants. You can eat, chew, bite, talk, and smile easily, without fear of slipping and sliding and without the hassle of denture adhesives.
The Basics of Permanent Denture Placement Procedure
Patients begin with an oral examination of the arrangement or condition of their teeth. Then the jawbone is scanned to determine the precise locations for placement of their dental implants. (Two will be placed in the anterior region and two will be placed at the back of the jawbone). After the implants are in place and the mouth is healed, permanent dentures are attached or fastened to the implants. Osseointegration then takes place, meaning the implants fuse to the jawbone during healing.
The Benefits of Permanent Dentures
Permanent dentures offer some impressive benefits:
- Are less invasive, have shorter surgery and healing times, have less post-op discomfort than conventional implants
- Eating and speaking is easier and more comfortable to do than it is with removable dentures
- Deliver more even distribution of biting force
- Are long-lasting, sturdy, and solid
- Require less hassle to clean and maintain
- Require fewer dental implants for permanent placement
- Support facial features and give a more natural, younger appearance
- Fit better and provide optimum comfort
- Can be customized to fit precisely
The Disadvantages of Permanent Dentures
Along with their impressive benefits, permanent dentures do come with a few disadvantages that must be considered.
- Placement of permanent dentures requires surgery. This means they may be prone to infection and inflammation. But with proper care, cleaning, and regular dental appointments, infection, inflammation, or other oral issues aren’t a problem.
- Surgery and prosthetic crowns and arch replacements cost more than removable dentures
As you can see the benefits of permanent dentures far outweigh the disadvantages.
There is no perfect method when it comes to replacing missing teeth, but permanent dentures are one of the popular options around.
If you are considering permanent dentures, call Davis Dental at (307) 634-3488. Discuss the procedure in detail with Dr. Davis. This will help you make an informed decision about whether or not the benefits of permanent dentures are a great option for you.
Quality Dental Care for Your Whole Family
3249 Sparks Road
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm