Are you one of those adults who thinks you are too old for braces? You’re never too old to improve a bad bite. Since age is not what determines whether or not a person can wear braces, adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment at any age. As long as your gums and bone are healthy enough to support movement, you are not too old for braces.
Most adults have crooked teeth or malocclusion (a bad bite). Crooked teeth and malocclusion can cause:
- Gum and bone loss
- Tooth decay
- Premature wear on tooth enamel
- TMJ/TMD pain
Are you a good candidate for braces?
Remember, age does not determine whether or not an adult can wear braces. Periodontal health and the type of orthodontic problem will determine whether or not you are a good candidate. For example, if you are struggling with gum disease, the moving of your teeth within the bone that supports the teeth can aggravate the disease and make the disease worse. Periodontal disease must be brought under control before braces are applied.
There are medical procedures, conditions or medications that may also preclude treatment. Check with your doctor, dentist and/or orthodontist before receiving orthodontic treatments if:
- You have severe heart-valve disease, bleeding disorders, severe and uncontrolled diabetes and leukemia.
- You are taking drugs for the treatment of arthritis or osteoporosis. These drugs can make moving teeth more difficult to accomplish.
- You smoke or are taking medications. Smoking and certain medications tend to dry out the mouth increasing the risk of tooth decay and making orthodontic treatment more uncomfortable. Dr. Davis, Dr. Hokanson and your orthodontist need to know about all medications you are taking.
Are there benefits for adults who are good candidates for braces?
Yes, and for the following reasons:
- Restoration of a healthy bite – Malocclusion is common in 75% of adults. Overcrowded teeth can cause a bad bite and can get worse over time. Stains are trapped easier in overcrowded teeth, too. Malocclusion can develop because of tooth loss. When remaining teeth shift into the empty spaces created by tooth loss, a bad bite can occur.
- Realignment of teeth – Straight teeth are easier to clean. Because misaligned teeth can be harder to clean, tooth decay and gum disease are more likely to occur.
- Comfortable chewing versus uncomfortable chewing. Chewing can be quite uncomfortable because of a malfunctioning bite.
- Improvement in self-confidence – Improving personal appearance with a great-looking smile can improve self-confidence dramatically. It’s even possible that a great-looking smile can improve your career and your social life as well!
Are there alternatives to wearing braces?
If the whole wearing of braces is holding you back from correcting overcrowded teeth or a bad bite, talk with Dr. Hokanson about Invisalign. He is Invisalign certified.
Invisalign is a clear, virtually unnoticeable alternative to metal brackets and wires. It moves teeth gradually. It is removable and custom-made. Invisalign straightens teeth without calling attention to them as metal brackets and wires do.
A lot has changed in the world of orthodontic treatment. Years ago clear or colorless braces, braces placed on the tongue side of teeth and of course, Invisalign were not available to adults. But they are now. Today’s technological advances in orthodontic treatment have made excellent treatment options for adults possible. Check with Dr. Davis or Dr. Hokanson to find out which treatment option is best for you.
No one is ever too old for braces. Don’t live with crooked teeth. Call Davis Dental at (307) 634-3488 today. We can determine whether or not your gums and bone are healthy for orthodontic treatment. We are open Monday through Thursday between 8:00am and 5:00pm. A beautiful smile is possible at any age!